I was in a hurry and “didn’t have time to properly clean out all sensitive data” from a work in progress, so I handed Gaige a tarball.

Not a pointer to a repo or a tarball that included a local repo… a tarball.

Then I made some tweaks myself.

You can probably imagine the mess that ensued. Took me a couple of hours to clean up.

If we used github we could have used private repos. As it stands, we self-host on gitolite. No great harm if we check in low sensitivity credentials like smtp auth or something.

In the future I will remember that we can always rebase or just quash the repo and push a completely new version. Not putting stuff under version control before sharing was a dumb idea. :-)